[Sca-cooks] Mitica Fig Almond Cake

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 17:35:14 PST 2004

On 3/24/04 2:27 PM, "Heleen Greenwald" <heleen at ptdprolog.net> wrote:

> My thanks Selene, for the info.
> I had read that Philly Inquirer article, but did not attach the web address
> because I did not think it was overly relevant, since I was after the fig
> cake recipe, which you gave me. Yes, at Wegmans, there was this huge disk of
> fig cake with large and small wedges sliced off of it and wrapped
> separately.  I bought a small (narrow) wedge for just over $5.00, Am waiting
> for Passover to taste it, having bought it for a Passover treat.
>
> Phillipa

I think it would make a jolly good Passover treat!  It's just another one of
those solidified fruit goos that the Spanish do so well, not unlike quince
paste. I wouldn't even think you need to add sugar. My seat-of-the-pants
back-engineering here:  Just cook fig innards until almost soft-ball so that
it acquires some coherency, and layer it in a cake pan [lined with wax
paper!] with scattering of almonds, then cool completely.

Selene C.