[Sca-cooks] Menu for EK Coronation Feast

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 28 23:09:27 PST 2004

On 29 Mar 2004, at 0:54, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>   Lady Brighid ni Chiarain gave
> > Feast Menu for the Coronation of
> > Gaufred Kelson von Heidelberg and Geneviere d'Alsace
> > April 3, A.S. XXXVIII
>
> > Sweet Pretzels
> "Sweet" pretzels? Do you actually mean jumbals? Recipe please?

Similar to jumbals, but the recipe is from Rumpolt, and the name translates
as pretzels.  I added the adjective "sweet" so that people would know what
to expect.  The recipe is in the Florilegium:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pretzels-msg.html

> > Quail Eggs in a Nest
> Is this presented as a soteltie? Are you doing one nest per person? Or
> one nest per table with each person getting one or two eggs? Are these
> hardboiled quail eggs? What is the nest going to be made of?

Yes.  No.  Yes.  Yes.  Shredded greens.

> > German Course
> >
> > Roast Beef with Two Mustards
> Oh. Nice idea. Which two mustards?

The Welserin pear mustard and a basic honey mustard.

> > Cheese Fritters

> These have to be served hot, right? How are you managing this? I
> thought I'd heard that fritters were always difficult to do at a feast
> and get served hot.

Frying them earlier in the day, then refreshing them in hot oil.

> > French Course
> >
> > Haricot of  Lamb (lamb stew with onions and herbs)
> Recipe? "Haricot"? What is this? I thought this was a type of bean or a
> way of serving beans.

It's also the name of a type of lamb stew.  This one is from the Menagier de
Paris.

> > Dessert Table
> > Almond Jelly in Three Colors

> How are you going to serve this? As a bowl to each table with the three
> colors in it?

I am going to cut the jelly into cubes and mix the colors in a bowl.  The
desserts will be served buffet style, not delivered to individual tables.

> I think it will be interesting to see how this jelly dish goes over.

I brought some to a populace meeting.  People either liked it a lot or thought
it was too bland/weird/unidentifiable.  I wouldn't serve it as the only dessert,
but my philosophy is to include one or two weird foods per feast.  Besides, it
looks very cool.
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net