[Sca-cooks] Me, was Eskimo ice cream

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 07:48:28 PST 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>[BLUSH]  That is true, I don't recall ever
>meeting her before.  But then I am really
>surprised that meeting me is such a memorable
>event.  Thank you for making me feel special!
>
>Huette
>

>--- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I suspect, dear Huette, that she hasn't had the
>>privilege, as have I, of
>>meeting you in person!  It is an experience not
>>to be forgotten!
>>
>>Kiri

You ARE special.  You are "one of a kind" within this Society of really
interesting and unusual individuals.

Some people ask me why I don't watch the TV show "Friends."
I tell them, I have quirky, fun and interesting friends in real life, I
don't need to substitute them with pretend TV friends do I?
You are definately one of the people who makes this statement true.

>However, I am looking for a British soda
>called "Claret and lemon", but I can't recall the
>manufacturer.

I wonder if that is a "soda" as such or a low-alcohol combination along
the line of Shandy only with red wine instead of beer?  If so, you could
probably reproduce it with a decent Bordeaux and 7-Up [what they call
Lemonade in Jolly Old, don'tcha know].

Here are a few possibilities, tell me if any of them resemble the drink
you remember:

CLARET LEMONADE

    * 2 oz. Claret(Or red wine)
    * 2 tsp. Sugar
    * Juice of 1 lemon
    * water [or club soda in some versions]

Dissolve the sugar and the lemon in a collins glass, then add water,
leaving enough room to float the Claret. Garnish with a straw and slices
of lemon and orange.

CLARET COOLER

liquors:
4 oz. Claret
2 tsp. Brandy

mixers:
3 oz. club soda
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 twist orange
1 oz. orange juice
1 twist lemon

Combine ingredients with crushed ice and stir.  Garnish with fruit.

Very similar, pre-fizzy water version:
Fannie Farmer, Boston Cooking School Cook Book, 1918, Chapter 3
"Beverages" No. 55:

CLARET PUNCH

1 quart cold water
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups sugar
2 inch piece stick cinnamon
few shavings lemon rind
1 1/3 cups orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 pint claret wine

Put raisins in cold water, bring slowly to boiling-point, and boil
twenty minutes; strain, add sugar, cinnamon, lemon rind, and boil five
minutes. Add fruit juice, cool, strain, pour in claret, and dilute with
ice-water.

We ought to get together and try them all out, just to stay cool in the
current heat wave!

Selene