[Sca-cooks] Me, was Eskimo ice cream

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 08:20:32 PST 2004

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >However, I am looking for a British soda
> >called "Claret and lemon", but I can't recall
> the
> >manufacturer.
>
> I wonder if that is a "soda" as such or a
> low-alcohol combination along
> the line of Shandy only with red wine instead
> of beer?  If so, you could
> probably reproduce it with a decent Bordeaux
> and 7-Up [what they call
> Lemonade in Jolly Old, don'tcha know].

I used to get this soda from a wonderful and
quirky deli in Pasadena, which has sadly gone out
of business, called Stottlemeyer's.  It was
definitely non-alcoholic.  They had it in a
refrigerator case next to the Cock'n'Bull ginger
beer, which is why I first noticed it.

I think that calling 7-Up lemonade is an insult
to lemonade however you define lemonade.  7-Up is
just sugar water with fizz.  However, their
dnL is actually rather tasty, it is green with a
pronounced lime flavor and caffeine!

> We ought to get together and try them all out,
> just to stay cool in the
> current heat wave!

Sounds like a plan.  When will you accept
visitors after Jared gets back from the hospital?

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.