[Sca-cooks] Honey

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Mar 29 11:25:14 PST 2004

> Why? I seem to recall from relatives in TX, that they used a method of
> harvesting that involved slicing open the comb cells and removing the
> honey by some centrifical spinning doodad. No heating involved, honey went
> right into the jars. We only boiled it before making mead to control the
> fermentation bugs.

Couple of things: first the modern beehive _is_ modern; in period hollow
tree sections or skeps were used, and the combs had to be cut out rather
than just lifting forms out. Also the centrifuge device is relatively
modern.

Heating and skimming the honey which was removed from the combs removed
the impurities that the period honey extraction process, and the period
beekeeping process, were not able to avoid.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"You must live feverishly in a library. Colleges are not going to do any
good unless you are raised and live in a library every day of your life."
--Ray Bradbury