[Sca-cooks] Honey

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at morktorn.com
Mon Mar 29 10:18:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > I had had too much chianti, but it seemed like the authors were saying
> > that natural honey was "unclean".
> Well honey straight from the hive needs to be boiled and the scum and
> bits of bug and such skimmed off. You can see that direction in many of
> the period recipes having to do with honey. Honey bought in the store
> generally has already had these operations done.

Why? I seem to recall from relatives in TX, that they used a method of
harvesting that involved slicing open the comb cells and removing the
honey by some centrifical spinning doodad. No heating involved, honey went
right into the jars. We only boiled it before making mead to control the
fermentation bugs.

Mirhaxa

  mirhaxa at morktorn.com