[Sca-cooks] recipe using portabela mushrooms?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 29 20:38:05 PST 2004

>From Libro della cucina del secolo XIV:

fungi di monte

Togli fungi di monte, e lessali:  e gittatene via l'acqua, mettili poi a
friggere con cipolla tritata minuto, o con bianco di porro, spezie e sale e
da a mangiare.

Mountain Mushrooms

Take mountain mushrooms and boil them:  and discard the water, then fry them
with finely sliced onion, or with white of leek, spices and salt, and serve.

I first encountered this in The Medieval Kitchen which uses 1 pinch each of
finely ground pepper, ground ginger and freshly grated nutmeg and two
pinches of ground coriander seed for the spicing.

The actual type of mushrooms being called for is unknown, but it is very
tasty with whole criminis and should work with diced portabellos.

Bear

Hello :)

I was wondering if anyone would have any period recipes or references that
would use Portabella
mushrooms?

please e-mail directly back to me if you do :)

thanks!

Jules/Mistress Catalina