[Sca-cooks] Mairi Ceilidh

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 30 10:25:46 PST 2004

I need to modify something here:

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>--- AEllin Olafs dotter <aellin at earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>OK... they gave me an AOA scroll with a shield
>>shaped gaping hole in the
>>middle, between the two pretty pictures! I
>>hadn't really wanted arms,
>>there's nothing I can see I'd ever do with
>>them,
>>

>You can make a banner or a flag, with your arms,
>so that people will know you are at an event and
>where you are encamped.  You can embroider,
>applique, or paint your arms on your garb, it is
>a period thing to do.

So far, so good.

> If you ever get minions,
>they will get tabards with your arms on them, so
>people will know to whom they belong.  You can
>paint your arms on various objects, like your
>tourney chair or your ice chest, as a period way
>to identify your possessions rather that use the
>very unperiod "property of ..."

Not quite right here.  These are the places to use your BADGE, not your
device.

A Device says This Is Me.  A banner that proclaims that I am in
residence, or garments that only I wear like a fighting tabard or
heraldic surcoat.  Only the current ruling landed noble of a Kingdom or
Barony, or the herald who speaks for him, gets to wear the full arms of
that region.  [There was heraldry test question once:  You see two men
wearing tabards of the Arms of the East Kingdom.  One of them is wearing
a Crown.  How do you address the other one? The technically correct
answer is "My Lord Herald", however  Zenobia's answer was "Hi Arval!"
 Not inappropriate at the time.]

A Badge says This Is Mine.  My stuff, my householders.  Aeduin has a
small emblazon of my arms on his associates' belt, but this is local
tradition rather than technically correct usage.  His back-support belt
for carrying heavy objects DOES have my badge carved on it, the one with
the celery stalk between fox' tails.  Also the caption:  "HOW AM I
SERVING?  CALL 1-800-S E L E N E"  mainly because nobody believed I
would really do that. <bwahaha>

>There are tons of imaginative ways of using your
>arms.

This is undoubtedly true, but only I get to use them.

Selene