[Sca-cooks] augmentations

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 15:29:11 PST 2004

If you take a look at a full display of a person or country...or
whatever, you will see that, in addition to a helm on top of the device
(usually displayed on a shield-shape), and possibly some manteling (all
that drapery around the helm and falling down on either side of the
shield), there are frequently a pair of "things", usually human or
animal, that appear to be holding the whole thing up...often shown
grasping the side of the shield.  These are supporters.  They aren't
registered because they are not part of the actual device as is an
augmentation, but rather part of what is called an "armorial display".

Hope this helps!

Kiri

Carper, Rachel wrote:

>Ok, I'm am obviously horribly heraldically uneducated. What are
>supporters? And why don't you register them.
>

>Elewyiss

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence