[Sca-cooks] augmentations

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Tue Mar 30 15:39:59 PST 2004

Carper, Rachel wrote:

>Ok, I'm am obviously horribly heraldically uneducated. What are
>supporters? And why don't you register them.

Supporters are human, animal, and monster figures that 'support' the
arms from either side. They are not part of the arms themselves, but
part of the overall achievement (arms, crest, motto, supporters, etc).
In both SCA and modern heraldry, not everyone has a right to supporters.
In An Tir, it's restricted to use by peers. If I understand correctly,
the Society College of Arms only registers arms and names, but not other
parts of an achievement. And they are more later development of armoury.
In modern British armoury, they are used primarly in civic armoury and
by those individuals with some distinction.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)