[Sca-cooks] Mairi Ceilidh

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Mar 30 17:17:52 PST 2004

I don't even have a real scroll for my AoA...what I got was half a sheet
of paper (like half of an 8.5 x 11 sheet, only heavier paper), with
someone's Gothic text on it.  I know it's half a sheet because it wasn't
exactly cut precisely evenly, and my friend, who got her GoA that same
day, had the other half :o)
Both my peerages were drive-bys, even if almost 12 years apart.  I got a
sort-of scroll with my earlier one (the laurel--and I'll add that pretty
much all of the peerages were drive-bys back then).  Think it's known as
a "promissory" scroll. It's a photocopied text on that faux parchment
you can get at Kinko's.  Someone had made some attempt to add some
color, but it was done with colored marker, which ran really badly (a
very wet event).  Added to which, the Crown that elevated me has since
been subject to a Level 3 banishment (not for my peerage, I hasten to
add! <g>)
My OP (got it last Nov) was done without a lot of planning, I think.
Their Majesties wanted me to have it, but that particular event was
apparently the only time we'd be jointly attended.  So it just happened!
I was thrilled and flabbergasted to be asked *that* question, but didn't
even get a chance to change my dress....folks thought I'd get suspicious
if I was encouraged to go home and change.
I think it's more common than not for folks to get scrolls with their
peerages, although it sometimes seems to depend on the lag time between
the initial announcement and the elevation.  It may be partly due to
IKA, but also probably partly a result of just not having that many
scribes in the kingdom.
I missed having a vigil and all that cool stuff both times, so a friend
of mine (who didn't get one, either) and I are thinking of hosting a
"non-Vigil Vigil Party" at this year's Uprising (Artemisia's single
largest event).  Lots of good nibblies and conversation, with everyone
welcome to attend.  I'm thinking of doing a bunch of the illusion food
that Olwen's done, like the shrimp (if I can get the mold), and the
edible bouquet, and the apple-eggs.  Limited amounts of alcohol, but
lots of homemade softdrinks (one of our locals makes a wicked
lemon-lime), and sekanjabin, of course! (I adore sekanjabin, even if I
don't know how to pronounce it! <g>)
I'd also like to do the peach pits that folks have talked about on the
list.  And some other, easy-to-transport nibbles.  Cold, sliced
cormarye, etc.
--maire "any excuse for a party with yummy food" ni nuanain