[Sca-cooks] Tonight on the Food Network - Biblical Foods

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 31 05:50:10 PST 2004

Also sprach ekoogler1 at comcast.net:
>What about meads and metheglins?  While I haven't looked at it, I
>suspect that Stefan has a number of great recipes in the
>Flory-thingy.

I could be wrong, but as far as Passover is concerned, I think
there's a two-edged sword for fermentables, both because of grain
products and because of yeasts, so even honey-based fermentables
could be a problem.

Yes, there are Kosher wines (a few of them are even drinkable), and
I'm not sure how that works, but I think that's more derived from an
exception to the rule rather than an absence of one, if you follow me.

I suspect Kosher wines might be fermented completely between Passover
seasons, and repeatedly racked and/or filtered to remove any traces
of live yeasts. All performed under the supervision of an
appropriately trained rabbi, I assume. I further suspect (but have no
real evidence to support this suspicion) that some Kosher wines are
so sweet because it allows one to be fairly sure when most or all
fermentation has stopped. I mean, if there are dormant yeasts, and
you add sugar or fresh juice, you'll probably see fresh yeast
activity (but which you're looking for not to happen...). I guess the
dryer Kosher wines may be filtered.

Adamantius