Perceptions - was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Tonight on the Food Network - Biblical Foods

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 31 13:26:10 PST 2004

Also sprach AEllin Olafs dotter:
>I don't begin to understand it...   I mean, there are things I don't
>like and so won't eat, but I don't think that's the fault of the
>person offering it to me! But it isn't just SCA, by any means...

True. But then the SCA is the only place I've ever experienced four
or five days of essentially non-stop list-serv traffic on the subject
of who doesn't like liver, and we all have to wait patiently until
all the outlying counties and parishes have been heard from. "Me,
too! I hate liver, too!" Or fish, or vegetables, or whatever. Once
one person mentions their dislike, it's like a three-day wait until
everybody has their turn. Heaven forfend they should be
disenfranchised over an issue that _really matters_, like this.

But yes, there seems to be this idea that fish is somehow more than
just a food some people dislike, or just something that fails to
actively appeal to them: it's somehow as if you insulted them. And
this is sufficiently acceptable and natural behavior for many people
for it to be commonplace.

Adamantius