[Sca-cooks] Dessert for tomorrow

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 14:01:01 PST 2004

One that you might look for is   Mrs Sarah Longe her Receipt Booke [c.
1610] which is in Fooles and Fricassees:  Food in Shakespeare's England
(Published by the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, DC, 1999) .  I
looked in www.addall.com, and couldn't find it, but the Folger might
still have copies of it.  If not, and you've got the time to wait, I'll
see if I can check it one day next week to see what's there.  Another
possibility is Elinor Fettiplace...I don't have the actual name of the
published book, but you should be able to find it.  It's about the same
vintage or slightly later than the Sarah Longe book.

Hope this helps.

Kiri

pandoraf at verizon.net wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I am making a Fool for dessert for tomorrow ;-), and have found a couple references online to recipes originating in the 15th or 16th centurey for Fools, but no sources were given. _Classic Home Desserts_, which is wonderful for discussing the origins and variations of many lovely and less-known desserts like flummery, is also vague about the origins of specific recipes for Fool.
>
>Any thoughts or pointers to resources?
>
>(And can the discussion of arms and augmentation please move back to food or come to an end -- almost every digest I've received over the past few days has contained little else, which makes even the digest version of this list become less attractive.)
>
>Is mise le meas,
>
>Pandora Fitzpatrick
>Everett, WA

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence