[Sca-cooks] alternatives to A&S competitions

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sat May 1 10:30:27 PDT 2004

I sort of don't know.  OK, so that sounds odd...

I actually didn't end up spending that much time at the table. When I
was there, no one else seemed to be... and I ended up doing things like
helping in the kitchen (OK, who here is surprised by that?) or attending
Adamantius's presentation, or going around to all the other exhibits,
such as Brighid's... I was spinning, which is portable, so I did walk
around with it, and so in some ways was actually *demonstrating* more
than many there... most just had the stuff out on the table.

I've been thinking about it. I do a lot of SCA demos, and I do demos
professionally. Normally, if you come within ten feet of me, you are
going to learn all about whatever I am showing, whether you planned to
or not *G*. For reasons I still don't really understand, I wasn't in
that mode, here... and I didn't even realize it until later.

I didn't have documentation, as my product is not yet much beyond "It's
thread. They had thread..." though I am getting farther. (Just got the
Museum of London Textile book - one of the few that actually analyses
thread. That gives me something to work from.) I hadn't thought through
the possibility of leaving the table - though I should have. Next time I
do something like this, I will have a series of nifty cards, explaining
what each skein is. (I had the entire process - from clean fleece
through woven cloth sample.) Even when I was there, people didn't really
look at them...  Though I did get interest from other artisans as I
walked around. And the fabric did interest some textile people who don't
spin and weave, but sew or embroider... though they seemed to look right
past the thread, which was the actual display. I clearly need to set up
better.

I really ended up enjoying it more in terms of the work I saw and the
people I met. I did learn about display and presentation in the SCA, and
I think I'll do that better next time. So all in all, a good and
productive first time out. And doing this analysis also helps.

Clear as mud?

AEllin