[Sca-cooks] OOP: Pie thickener question

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sat May 1 11:42:32 PDT 2004

These are gluten-free: rice, corn, millet, potato, soy.  Each of these is
available in a flour form.  Spelt flour gluten is hightly water soluable, so
easier to digest, depending on the level of his reaction.  Oat flour is also
a good thickener, and has a slightly easier to digest gluten, also depending
on his level of reaction.  Bran fibers are good, and can come from wheat,
oat, and rice. Ground psyllium is another source for many commercial fiber
products such as were mentioned, and will thicken by creating a gel-like
consistancey. Ground flax seed would provide a mucillage-thickening quality
(and lots of good fiber, essential fatty acids, etc.), as would agar or
carageenan (seaweed extracts).
Rhubarb, by the way, is about a six on the scale of 1-10 in laxative-effect
producing plants.  (Brans, flax, psyllium 1-4, Laxatives like cascara
sagrada and senna 5-8, Aloin 9, etc.)
Christianna

I made the most awesome strawberry rhubarb pie this week (ok, ok, I made
two - one to take to a friends house and one that I ate myself.)  My
Dad, who has celiac disease, is a big fan of strawberry rhubarb pie, and
I'd like to convert the recipe to gluten free.  The crust is easy -
there are several GF recipes in Bette Hagman.  However, I need a
conversion for the wheat flour that's used as a thickener for the
filling.  It calls for two tablespoons of flour.  Should I try to
convert this one-for-one to tapioca?  Or use more or less tapioca than I
would have used flour?

Thank you!

-Magdalena