[Sca-cooks] Preserving sorrel?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue May 4 07:54:54 PDT 2004

> Can you dry sorrel? I don't know, but I kinda doubt it.

Well, you can, but it's like drying parsley or cilantro. Limited use. In
general, thin-leaved herbs that are used mostly in fresh sallets are the
poorest candidates for drying (test: how does it compare to spinach?)

> Alternatively, how do you make sorrel juice? I can't quite see myself
> squeezing the leaves - do you steep it? Boil it? Or is it just a matter of
> quantity and a good blender?

To make herb juice, mince up and mush the herb, either with a knife and a
mortar and pestle, or with a blender/food processor. Then put the material
into a piece of muslin and squeeze out the juice. You should be able to
freeze the juice.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"