[Sca-cooks] FW: At the Heart of Natural Health

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri May 7 21:26:03 PDT 2004

Greetings all,
	I spent the weekend of April 24th at a conference put on by the college I
am attending, Clayton College of Natural Health.  The name of the conference
was 'At the Heart of Natural Healing'.  I went back through all my notes and
the proceedings book to put together a somewhat cohesive record of the
weekend. If you are interested, please email me directly and I will send it
as an attachment.  I was going to post it to the SCA-Cook's Yahoogroup
Files, but it really doesn't relate to period cooking.  However, there was
one class ("Herbal Nutrition") that discussed the Humoral Theory without
calling it that, and another class ("Plants as Teachers") where the entire
hour and a half was dealing with modern applications of the Humoral Theory,
while incorporating some of the Oriental view as well. It was a wonderful
experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed the intensive educational time, and
even got an elective credit towards my degree over the course of the
weekend.
	When I got home, I took a few minutes to write up a list of the things I
wanted to do with this information.  It included assimilating it all, partly
by re-reading everything and then typing up the report.  I also want to
distribute the information, and I will incorporate much of the information
into classes I will teach in the future.  The instructors were such a vast
storehouse of knowledge, I plan to keep in touch with many of them. The
contact information for all of them is included with the report.
	Stay healthy,
	Christianna
	kingstaste at mindspring.com

Classes Included:
Keynote speech: “Overview of Health, Nutrition and Aging”, by Dr. Elson
Haas, M.D.

“The Philosophy of Radical Healing” by Dr. Rudolph Ballentine, MD.

“Building Good Digestion: The Role of the Intestinal System”
Presenter: Daniel Gagnon, AHG, Medical Herbalist, President of Herbs, Etc.

Learning Lunch “Heal With Every Meal” presented by Linda Rector Page, N.D.,
Ph.D.     (With cooking demonstration assistance from the conference center’
s chef.)

“Herb and Drug Interactions and Contraindications” presented by Phyllis D.
Light, B.S., RH, CNC, LMT, American Herbalist Guild

 “Diet, Digestion, and Detoxification: Healing the Body Environment”
Presented by Dr. Elson Haas, M.D.

Learning Lunch – “Women and the Most Urgent Health Issues for 2004”
Presented by Ann Louise Gittleman, PhD.

“Herbal Nutrition” – Presented by Steven Horne, AHG

“The Folk Medicine of Tommie Bass” Presented by: Darryl Patton, B.S., Ed.,
Herbalist.

“Plants as Teachers: Understanding the Signature of Illness”
Presented by Matthew Wood, AHG

“Assessment Language”.  Presented by Susie Hale, M.A., N. D., L.M.T., L.P.C.

“Introduction to TCM Pulse Analysis” Presented by Susan Kramer, Ph.D., AHG,
Esq.

“How to Write for the Health Market and Get Published” presented by Carl
Lowe

“The Orthomolecular Approach to ADD/ADHD” and “Depression, Anxiety, and Mood
Disorders” presented by Rodger H. Murphree, II, D.C., C.N.S.