[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP: Wazzup with "Red Velvet Cake"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon May 10 09:08:53 PDT 2004

Hullo, the list!

I just heard my first mention of Red Velvet Cake on the radio five
minutes ago, and I went looking for a recipe, only to find it just a
little frightening.

It appears to be a more-or-less innocuous, lightly-cocoa-flavored
cream cake (in the sense that you cream together the fat and sugar to
a very light, foamy consistency before adding the other ingredients,
which seem to be fairly common, except perhaps for a dash of vinegar,
often seen in Southern pie crust recipes). So far, so good.

That is, until you get to the _TWO_OUNCES_ of red food coloring added
to the batter. That's 1/4 cup.

It seems that there are heretical recipes that call for a mere one
ounce, but those are inferior because the crumb of the cake is a deep
pink, and not, strictly speaking, red. It is rumored that you get
points taken off if the powdered micro-grains of cocoa are visible in
your finished cake.

Is anyone else reminded of the Red Raspberry Zinger cereal-ad debacle
in Stephen King's novel "Cujo"?

Okay, guys, let's hear the pitch. Is this really something people eat?

Adamantius