[Sca-cooks] Clover flowers, dandelion, and eating weeds

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue May 11 07:59:20 PDT 2004

Hmmmmm....I thought clover flowers were kind of ubiquitous...they are,
if I'm thinking correctly, little white flowers that are kind of
spherical...they grow all through our yard. Though I have to admit to
never having considered them as a food...like the dandelions that also
grow there and can be used to make wine.

Kiri

Clover flowers are pretty ubiquitous in our yard, too <g>.

So what's the pickling recipe for them? Do they wind up sort of like capers?

Young, fresh dandelion leaves make a great salad mixed with milder lettuces. Dress it with a red wine vinegar and olive oil like my Grandma Biamonte did.

Chickweed also makes a nice salad addition, and for those who are trying to guard against bone loss, it's very high in calcium.

Here's a question, though —  I have a quantity of sweet woodruff in my yard, is there anything it's used for other than May wine? Should I candy the flowers?

Gianotta