[Sca-cooks] Ginger Syrup for "Dayboard"

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun May 23 10:27:48 PDT 2004

A prowled through the Florilegium, sneaking through the dark,
occasionally surprised by bright flashes of light, finding, among
many other useful and/or interesting files Jadwiga's Dayboard
Adventure Saga.

This interested me:

>Ginger Syrup:
>Peel a big hunk of ginger and mince. (About 2/3 c. per batch) Mix
>2.5 cups water with 4 cups sugar. Bring to a boil. Add 1 cup lemon
>juice and reduce heat. Add several spoonfuls of the ginger. Simmer
>until reduced by 1/6. Add rest of ginger. Simmer until reduced by
>about 1/3 from start. Cool. Strain & bottle. To use, dilute about 8
>to 1 with water (or pour over vanilla ice cream. :))

I'm reading all the references to reduction, but i'm not visualizing
well. How much syrup did this make? I read that you made a total of
1-1/2 gallons. I just want to figure out how many of these batches
i'd need to make to suit the Inter-Principality War... also, i need
to find out how many folks generally attend, knowing that, what, may
1/3 will partake of our offerings...

Anahita
who cooked most of a feast for 150 at home and then took it to the
event for another local anomaly - a feast at a Kingdom camping event.