[Sca-cooks] Devilish Derivations

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 17:03:04 PDT 2004

--- a5foil <a5foil at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> While we're on the subject of Angels -- does
> anyone know about a dessert,
> from the 1940s or early 1950s, called Angel
> Pie? My mother mentioned this as
> something she remembers fondly but never had a
> recipe for.
>
> Cynara

Yes.

Here is the recipe that my mother made, although
she called it Angel Food Pie:

Angel Food Pie
Yield: 6 Servings

4 Egg whites
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
Dream Whip topping, already whipped up.
Chocolate sprinkles

Beat egg whites until almost stiff. Add sugar &
vanilla slowly. Beat until mixture is completely
stiff. Pour into baked pie shell. Bake at 300
degrees until whites are slightly browned, about
30 minutes. Remove from oven & cool. Top with
Dream Whip topping. Sprinkle with chocolate
sprinkles. Keep in refrigerator.

This is a very light, melt in your mouth kind of
pie and is very refreshing when served on a hot
day.  I suppose you could substitute sweetened,
whipped heavy cream for the Dream Whip.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.