[Sca-cooks] OOP--Maire's Mom's Coffee Jello wasRegrettable foodfun

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun May 2 21:16:00 PDT 2004

Yes, ma'am! <g>
The recipes are a bit heavy on sugar, if you're watching that, but it
should be pretty easy, I'd think, to substitute one's choice of
sweetener-substitute.  IIRC, for the coffee we used regular coffee, made
at double-strength (this was waaaay before espresso came to MT).  If you
*did* want to use espresso or something, I'd imagine you'd have to
filter to prevent sludge escaping into the jello.
Dang, but I'm thinking this would be really yummy made with bedouin
coffee....mmmmm.....
--maire

COFFEE JELLO
1 c sugar
3 envelopes Knox gelatin
3 c hot, strong coffee
1.5 c boiling water

Combine gelatine and sugar in medium, heat-resistant bowl.  Add coffee
and water, and stir until the sugar and gelatin are completely
dissolved.  Pour into 5-cup mold and chill until set.
Serve topped with custard sauce (recipe below)

CUSTARD SAUCE
3 c milk
2 egg yolks
.75 c sugar
1.5 T cornstarch
.25 t salt
1 t vanilla

In an appropriate saucepan, bring milk to a simmer.  In a bowl, beat the
egg yolks slightly, adding sugar, cornstarch & salt.  Recipe doesn't say
so, but I'd imagine you'd want to add a bit of the hot milk to the egg
mixture, and combine well before you put the egg mixture into the
saucepan of hot milk....Cook over low heat, stirring a lot, until
mixture thickens.  It will not get as thick as pudding--more of a
thickened gravy consistency (brown gravy, say, NOT sausage gravy).  Add
vanilla, and chill.