[Sca-cooks] OOP: Which Food TV Chef are you?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 01:21:02 PDT 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:
> >I beg your pardon!  Adamantius who is a
> >Mets lover ... Isn't that like being a Chicago
> >Cubs fan?
>
> I don't know. The Mets play at a stadium quite
> close to where I live,
> have not made liars of my parents, who taught
> me it was more
> important _how_ a game is played than who wins
> it, and are owned by a
> guy who, for all his failings, is not a
> convicted felon twice banned
> from MLB, nor more evil than Walter J. O'Malley
> (which is saying
> something).

Ahhh.  The long-term memory of New Yorkers ...
Just because O'Malley brokered a deal that moved
both the Dodgers and the Giants doesn't make him
evil.  Just incredibly shrewd and successful. And
rich ...

He would have stayed in Brooklyn if Brooklyn
would have rebuilt Ebbets Field, which was too
small and had no parking.  But they wouldn't and
so he left for LA with a deal to own his own
stadium and parking.

The O'Malley Family is [or was] much beloved here
in LA.  They ran the epitome of a baseball
franchise.  In 50 years, they had only _two_
managers, Walter Alston and Tommy Lasorda. They
_never_ fired anyone because they were having a
bad year.  Win or lose, they trusted their
managers.  The Dodgers as a team, no matter where
they are in the standings, always put on exciting
games and ones that you can never leave early
because they would always win, or lose, very
dramatically.  LA loves the Dodgers whether they
win or lose. Did you know that the Dodgers are
the _only_ MLB team to consistantly bring in more
than 3 million fans a season.  They were the
first to do so and have continued to do so more
times than every major league team combined.
And then there is Vin Scully, the best baseball
announcer ever.  Fans of the Dodgers go to home
games with transister/walkman radios because they
_have_ to hear what Vin has to say about the
game.  He not only knows more about baseball in
general than anyone else alive, but he is
non-partisan about his announcing.  He gives
equal time to the visiting team and gets just as
excited about their plays as he does the Dodger
plays.  He never uses the word "we" in his
broadcasts.

The only thing bad that I can say about the
O'Malley family is that they sold the team and
turned the team from a family team to a corporate
team.  They should never have sold.  I don't know
anything about the new owners.

> Did the Cubbies just win a series against the
> Dodgers last weekend?

No.  Their first games are next week.

> If so, yes, it probably is pretty similar...

The Dodgers are currently in first place in their
division.

And Dodger Dogs are quite tasty, for the
obligatory food content of this message.

> Adamantius, busy laughing at Barry Bonds

Aren't you always?

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.