[Sca-cooks] RE: Welcome, a birthday party

Finne Boonen fboonen at vub.ac.be
Wed May 5 08:14:54 PDT 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004 kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

> Medieval-themed Birthday Party
> 10 guests
> 1200-1600 north of France/The Netherlands
> standard kitchen cooking facilities
>
> main course/main courses
> Waterzooi (a thick soup of chicken/fish,veggies and cream/water)
starting to wonder wether it might not be a good idea to make several
(smaller) meatpies, I could do most of the work for that beforehanded

> Desert(rice in milk with safron)
> Beer

(snipped some stuff)
> Ok, just wanted to consolidate what you've got so far.  I would like to
> throw another slant your way having to do with the concept of the birthday
> party.  Mostly, they didn't recognize the Natal Day so much.  What with high
> the practice of celebrating one's Saint's Name Day.  As a matter of fact,
Already knew it (bf persuing a history degree in this time period is handy
for such things) :). Basically, it' a nice occasion for a party+finally
fullfill semi-promise to  other friends to cook for them once(know some
nice 18 century common people recipes, but middle ages are more
interesting due to more use of local produce and such, and it's one of
the more interesting time periods for my region)

it's my own birthday,
party: may 10th
bday: may 21th (unfortunately right before exams)
patron saint would be the saint of whom my name was derived?, so that
would be: Josef(father of Jesus?) -> Josephine > Finne

> them, it could give you a whole lot of ideas about what you can do for party
> activities.  (I know, a martyred saint doesn't sound like lots of fun, but
> we did that the "Feast of the Saints" once which included Martyrs in Pitch -
> gingerbread men served with chocolate dipping sauce, the diners got to dip
> their own martyrs - lots of fun for the whole family)

interesting, and seems yummy, again interesting (starting to feel a bit
sorry for myself for not going in the direction of a history degree :)

and another question: why would onions(or wich other vegetablelike flavourings) not be a problem to be combined
with meat? I don't really know anybody irl who's interested in historical
cooking so don't really have another place to ask ;(

Finne