[Sca-cooks] RE: Welcome, a birthday party

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed May 5 08:18:05 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> and another question: why would onions(or wich other vegetablelike
flavourings) not be a problem to be combined
> with meat? I don't really know anybody irl who's interested in historical
> cooking so don't really have another place to ask ;(
>

> Finne

Wasn't so much a problem, I think, so much as a way of thinking- onions were
considered more of a flavoring, an herb, than a vegetable. A lot of it had
to do with the humoral properties of the foods, too. A perfect meal would
balance all of the humours, but a perfect meal for someone whose imbalances
were in one direction or another would be skewed towards another humour, to
compensate. I'm still working on figuring a lot of it out- would help
considerably if someone could/would collate a list of foodstuffs with their
humoral properties and the degrees of those properties, but it's not
something I have time or inclination for.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.