[Sca-cooks] RE: Welcome, a birthday party

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu May 6 06:09:47 PDT 2004

> I have a few Remnaissance recipes combining meat with onions or garlic, but
> from the way much is made of 'smell-breath peasants' eating 'cabbage,
> onions and leeks' in medieval literrature I suspect that would have been
> somewhat infra dig.

But there's a technical term for meat cooked with onions: a civey or civet
(different from the smelly weasel relative). I think the big deal is that
peasants ate more of these things and ate them not cooked with meat. There
are lots of recipes I know of that call for onions.

Egredouce, Sabrina Welserin's Roast of Beef, Roast onion sallet, funges,
tarte for ember day, a whole bunch of the andalusian recipes, cebollada,
sauce for pigeons, Hen in Broth...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"