[Sca-cooks] German Sausage recipes

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Fri May 7 02:42:42 PDT 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:28:44 -0400, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote :

> > <<31>>
> > Pratw?rst von vischen
> > Hakch den hechten chlain vnd gutz gewurtz
> > darzu vnd nim ch?m darein vnd tue das an
> > einen spis vnd pratz vnd pegewss mit smaltz
> > vnd richz an mit zukker, ymber vnd traget.
> >
> > Roasting sausages of fish
> >
> > Chop pike finely and add good spices and cumin. Place that on a spit
and
> > roast it, and baste it with lard. Serve it with sugar, ginger and
/traget/
> > (gum tragacanth? candied spices?)
>
> Do you think this just omits to tell you to put it in the casings?

I guess either is possible. There are caseless sausages in later German
cuisine IIRC, and we all know Oxford sausages.

I'll have to try it at some point, but given what they charge for pike
it'll be a while till I'Äm willing not only to fork out that money, but
then to chop up the fish rather than boil, steam or roast it properly...

Does anyone know a good substitute for pike? Freshwater predators aren't
exactly common, and I'm no great fish expert to start with.

Giano