[Sca-cooks] Candied Orange Peel

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon May 10 05:11:01 PDT 2004

Well, the recipe I used to make candied orange peel was a translation
and redaction from Barbara Santich, but originally came from a period
Italian cookbook:

Libro di cucina/libro per cuoco--Anonimo Veneziano translated by Lady
Helewyse de Birkestad (Louise Smithson)

CXXX.     To Make orange dish good and delicate

Take the peel of the orange and make in those pieces that you want and
pick clean well within, put to soak for 15 days then boil in much water
until they are tender, let them dry for three days, then put them in
honey that you want and boil for three days (bring to a boil every day
for three days), then let it boil a little and change, then take that
honey and put with the other with the spices:  but first the spices must
be put within and boiled with the skimmed honey, boil well until the
honey is well cooked, then leave a quantity of days in the air without sun.

I did them as Santich suggested in her redaction, mixing the ginger with
the honey.  The results were wonderful.  I wish I had written it down,
but I think I added a bit of cinnamon as well...I thought they were
pretty good and the folks who ate the feast seemed to think so as
well...I didn't make a whole lot, but none of them came back.

Kiri

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Thank you. This sounds interesting and I'll have to try this sometime.
> I may have missed earlier comments, but do we have any evidence of
> ginger, or other items, being added to the sugar syrup for flavoring
> and not for sugaring that item itself?
>
> Stefan
> --------

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence