[Sca-cooks] Candied Orange Peel

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 10 21:30:39 PDT 2004

Thorvald replied to my question with:
> At 00:10 -0500 2004-05-10, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >  Kateryn de Develyn mentioned:
> >> Mistress Diana McLean and I tried making the sugared orange peel
> with
> >> ginger. We added freshly peeled and sliced ginger to the sugr syrup
> >> we were making to put the orange peel in.
> >>
> >> I have to tell you, the result was absolutely fantastic! You
> >> couldn't taste the ginger at all, but the orange flavor of the peels
> >> just popped! I have never tasted such orangey sugared peels efore.
> >
> > Thank you. This sounds interesting and I'll have to try this
> sometime.
> > I may have missed earlier comments, but do we have any evidence of
> > ginger, or other items, being added to the sugar syrup for flavoring
> > and not for sugaring that item itself?
>
> One late period recipe for candying oranges includes cinnamon.
>
> Casteau, "Ouverture de Cuisine", 1604 (my translation):
>
> "Take some oranges divided into two, and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon
> on top, and put them on a grill with low heat, and pour a bit of melted
> butter on top until you see that the sugar is dissolved: then add more
> sugar and cinnamon, and butter, and make the fire a bit larger, and add
> ofttimes sugar and cinnamon, until you see that it is entered into the
> orange."
Hmmm. but would this be considered a candied fruit? This seems more
like something between a sugared fruit and a frosted fruit. This recipe
isn't dipping or soaking the fruit in a sugar syrup and I wonder how
many times this is meant to be or could be repeated. The candied fruits
and peels seem to have to soak for a longer time or involve a bunch of
repeated dippings. Still, it is interesting. I'm not sure where to file
it in the Florilegium, though. It's not a candied-peel nor is it a
comfit, since I though comfits were candied spices or seeds. Maybe I
should start a new candied-fruit-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com