[Sca-cooks] Food and squeamishness

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon May 10 07:18:29 PDT 2004

>  I was wondering, has anyone ever served food at a feast such as a whole
>pig's or ox's head, or a whole piglet, or, basically, anything that can
>stare right back at you while you munch on it?

>Petru

We have done whole pigs several times.  At one event we had two whole pigs
(about 75 pounds each).  While we were carving one up the other was paraded
through the (outdoor) hall on a large heater sheild with an arrow through
it's head.  IIRC the head portion was left near high table.  House Blackstar
did one by request of the Atlantian King at Pennsic 30 which we processed in
on a decorated stretcher and carved in front of the guests (picture here:
http://groups.msn.com/OlwensOddities/pennsicxxx.msnw ).  The head of that
pig went to a meeting with the King directly after supper!  Last year at
Pennsic the Known World party a large whole pig was processed in through the
throng and carved on the table.  I have also been to other events where
whole pigs have been served, like at Lochmere, but if you don't get there
fast enough you don't get any!
I would advise that you get a couple of folks who are skilled in carving a
whole carcass if you want to do a good presentation.  Otherwise it may just
look like a torture.
Olwen