[Sca-cooks] chili pepper in 1620 spanish painting?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 10 07:44:46 PDT 2004

The painting is owned by the National Gallery  in London.
If you go to their website you can download the picture for viewing from
them. In theory this  has a zoom function which makes it easier to look
at the details.
It takes forever to download, so be patient.
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/work?workNumber=NG1375

Using the zoom function----

Yes, it's a pepper and yes it's garlic.....

Hope this helps---

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Terry Decker wrote:

>Right shape, right color, but not a good reproduction.  It would be nice if
>we could see the original or a Tauschen reproduction.
>
>Chili peppers appear in Leonard Fuchs herbal of 1543, so it is very likely
>they were being used in cooking before 1600.
>
>Bear

The white items could be either garlic or some white mushroom. They are
strangely drawn

enough as to be unclear to my eyes, anyway.

Huette