[Sca-cooks] chili pepper in 1620 spanish painting?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 08:53:51 PDT 2004

Wow!

That zoom function is incredible!

Yes, I can now see that the objects are garlic
and a dried pepper.

And the old lady is wearing a bracelet.  Wow!

And I love the subtle way that the artist
included the words "National Gallery" all over
the painting ... :-)

Thank you Johnnae!

Huette

--- Johnna Holloway

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/work?workNumber=NG1375

> Using the zoom function----
>
> Yes, it's a pepper and yes it's garlic.....
>
> Hope this helps---
>
> Johnnae llyn Lewis
>
> Terry Decker wrote:
>
> >Right shape, right color, but not a good
> reproduction.  It would be nice if
> >we could see the original or a Tauschen
> reproduction.
> >
> >Chili peppers appear in Leonard Fuchs herbal
> of 1543, so it is very likely
> >they were being used in cooking before 1600.
> >
> >Bear
> >

> The white items could be either garlic or some
> white mushroom. They are
> strangely drawn
>
> enough as to be unclear to my eyes, anyway.
>
> Huette
>

> >>Does the thing in front of the bowl of fish
> look like a dried chili
> >>pepper to anyone else?
> >>
> >>- Doc

=====