[Sca-cooks] Another Sausage recipe question

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at freescale.com
Mon May 10 13:04:13 PDT 2004

Grace asked:

I found a brat recipe on the Sabrina Welserin cookbook site. I have someone
in my group questioning the accuracy of the translation. So, does anyone have
any info on the recipes from this translation?
I think his main concern is that this recipe calls for bacon and that
apparently Rumbolt calls for a beef/veal mixture. He says that bacon was called for as a side dish for the sausage.
<<<<

No, the "bacon" is not a side dish. The "bacon" is part of the sausage itself. Sausage needs fat in it and fat often has to be added, especially it the meats used are lean. I used quotes around the "bacon" above to emphasis that what you are thinking of as bacon may not be what the original recipe writer would think of when they said "bacon". Even today, there are regional differences in what cuts of meat are meant by "bacon". You can find more on good choices for meat cuts when a period recipe calls for "bacon" in the Florilegium sausage and sausage making files or put "bacon" into the search engine there.

Stefan