[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP: Wazzup with "Red Velvet Cake"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon May 10 22:03:20 PDT 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Yes, it does remind me of Cujo cereal.

Well, it's good to know I am not alone in remembering minor details
of obscure horror novels written 20-some-odd years ago... but it was
sort of visually arresting. For those who managed not to read the
book (I think the idea is either absent or massively downplayed in
the movie adaptation), the main  plotline/conflict of the book
concerns a mother and son essentially held under siege in a locked
car for some 24 hours (in the days before cell phones), by a huge,
rabid St. Bernard. The absent, respective husband and father is a
junior advertising executive called in to spin-doctor the Red
Raspberry Zinger Account, Zingers being a lurid bright-red breakfast
cereal containing a new red food coloring not properly tested by the
FDA (or that's what I remember from reading it 20 or more years
ago...). The food coloring tends to react badly in the stomachs of
the kiddies eating this cereal, creating large amounts of slightly
curdled, blood-red, projectile vomit.

>Yes, people really do eat the stuff...some even really like it.
>Personally, I can't stand it, because all I taste is the whole
>bottle of food coloring. <evil yucky face>
>But then, I'm not a huge cake fan...I'd rather have my
>carb/fats/chocolate for the day as cookies or brownies or ice cream.
>Or as a good east coast-style cheesecake (not too sweet, not a lot
>of other goop).

Sour cream or heavy cream? (If I may be excused for discussing
religion on this list.)

Adamantius