[Sca-cooks] The dangers of synthetic dyes

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue May 11 09:49:56 PDT 2004

You know, the more I study nutrition and natural foods, the more I see the
benefits of a medieval diet.  Another MD who's books I respect quite a bit
(Dr. Elson Haas), has a title called "Staying Healthy With The Seasons",
which basically says to rotate your diet around throughout the year, eating
seasonaly fresh produce and meats only.  That way, you don't become reactive
to foods because you are eating them every single day (like wheat, corn,
soy, eggs, dairy, sugar, etc.).
I says to myself 'Duh! How many times have I taught that in medieval food
classes - they didn't have supermarkets bringing them foods from all over
the world, they ate what was fresh, local, and in season'.
Christianna

So basically what he is saying is, SCA-period food-based colorants are
good, modern chemical dyes are bad.

Annatto being the only exception, and maybe we can squeeze that in with
the Conquistadors post-1492. <smile>

Selene C.