[Sca-cooks] The dangers of synthetic dyes

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue May 11 10:26:17 PDT 2004

So basically what he is saying is, SCA-period food-based colorants are
good, modern chemical dyes are bad.

Annatto being the only exception, and maybe we can squeeze that in with
the Conquistadors post-1492. <smile>

Selene C.

One more thing, I was just reading through "The Colorful Cook" Creative
Anachronist, and there are lots of SCA-Period dyes that are referred to as
the "Perrilous Colors", things that are NOT safe to ingest but were used in
period.  So, while your statement above is close, it isn't good as a blanket
statement.  (Lead dust, anyone?)
Christianna