[Sca-cooks] The dangers of synthetic dyes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 11 23:46:33 PDT 2004

  Christianna commented:
> I says to myself 'Duh! How many times have I taught that in medieval
> food classes - they didn't have supermarkets bringing them foods from
> all
> over the world, they ate what was fresh, local, and in season'.
No, take off the rose-tinted glasses. I think the best that can be said
is that they sometimes ate what was fresh, local and in season. They
ate an awfully large amount of salted and pickled foods, especially in
the winter when fresh foods weren't available. Not all foods were grown
locally and those that were brought in were preserved in some way. They
didn't have the transportation to bring in fresh food from another
region. We can. Sometimes our processed food is less nutritious than
fresh, sometimes it is better. Frozen vegetables being one good example
of the latter. You can get fresh California vegetables in Texas or the
East Coast when are better quality when they are in season in the
remote location, that are better than the urban folks in say medieval
Paris could from even the surrounding countryside and as the cities
grew the situation got worse.

Just as now, the quality of one's diet depended upon individual things
like economic standing and location as well as one's choices and
tastes. Both our time period and the medieval time period had
advantages and disadvantages in food quality compared to the other.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com