[Sca-cooks] Viva Penguinistas!

El Hermoso Dormiendo ElHermosoDormido+scacooks at dogphilosophy.net
Wed May 12 17:30:08 PDT 2004

I can one-up you there...
As a rabid Penguinista for the last 8 years or so, I can confirm that not
only is there a metric plethora of Linux variations to choose from,
Mozilla, Firefox (the "browser only" version of Mozilla/Netscape), Thunderbird
(the "Mail only" version of Mozilla/Netscape), and Opera are all alive and
kicking, as is OpenOffice ( http://www.openoffice.org ) and all of these are
'cross platform' - you can install "Windows" versions of them if you're afraid
you might miss out on the next cool new virus or something, and then when
you finally decide to take the metaphorical plunge, the same familiar
applications will be waiting for you on Linux...

My personal preferred Linux distribution is Slackware, but I wouldn't
recommend it unless you're genuinely interested in learning about unix-type
environments (it works just fine, but it's "no-frills" in terms of the
install process and updates...)

For new users who just want something that works and isn't a big
pain to deal with, some recommendations are usually:

Knoppix (a "live-CD" distribution - runs entirely from the CD if you just want
to try it out without installing it)
http://www.knoppix.org

SuSe - this is the most popular distribution in Europe.  It is now part of
Novell (yes, THAT Novell) and they're REALLY going strong on promoting it and
being good "Open Source citizens" at the same time.  There is a "live CD"
version available for download, but the easiest way to get a "full" install
version is to buy a retail box (I've seen 'em at Borders Books before) for $60
or so.  (A complete install from a free download is also possible and legal,
but isn't particularly simple to do.  As far as I know, only older versions
are readily available as "full install disk" downloads.)
http://www.suse.com

Mandrake - a lot of people like this one for "newbies".  I didn't much
care for it myself though.  It used to be based on Red Hat but is its
own distribution now.
http://www.mandrakelinux.com

"Red Hat" actually doesn't "do" consumer-type distributions any more - they
are focussing exclusively on the "Enterprise" corporate market.  However,
their "consumer" distribution has spun-off into its own project called
"Fedora".  I haven't been too fond of Red Hat but I've heard Fedora is quite
good.
http://fedora.redhat.com

There are lots more options, but that gives you a start
(A "distribution" is one particular vendor's or project's collection of
software that includes the linux "kernel" and a variety of additional
software.  Most distributions include more or less the same components, the
differences are in the 'default' components that they use and the default
"graphics" themes for the programs.  It's all "Linux" in any case.)

You can grab a wide variety of CD "images" (suitable for burning
to a blank CD-R) from:

http://www.linuxiso.org/

They're all legally free downloads, so feel free to make copies and
pass 'em around if you want to.

Windows users who are looking for good "Open Source" software to try
out but not a whole Operating system to replace their virtual virus
incubator might want to take a look at "the Open CD", which includes
a bunch of useful Windows programs that are Open Source/Legally Free
(including Mozilla and OpenOffice, among others).

That's at:
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/

There, that enough to help get you going? :-)

signed,
El Hermoso Dormiendo, who has a Slashdot.org ID# below 12,000....