[Sca-cooks] pickled clover flowers

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Wed May 12 18:43:59 PDT 2004

Finally found the recipe again!!! Yeah
Ok nope this is not period.  Or at least I haven't looked for it
anywhere.  I found this on a website that listed edible flowers in
particular clover.

However here is the recipe.....
Use Red and White Clover blossoms, white vinegar, and honey.  Alternate
the different clover blossoms in a wide mouth quart jar.  Fill jar with
vinegar.  Then pour out vinegar and measure.  For each 1/2 cup of
vinegar, add 1 tablespoon of honey.  Pour this over the clover and let
set for a week before using.  It makes a nice garnish for veggies and
fish, and serve them for hors d'oeuvres.

Now of course since I always wander away from the recipe and
embellish... here is what I did.
White Clover Blossoms since that was what we had in the yard.  (Used my
own blossoms... weeded the yard and got food at the same time... Not to
mention that I KNOW there are NO chemicals on this stuff.)   I did not
fill the jar and then remove vinegar... I simply poured and measured the
honey out.  After 2 days I tasted it, not bad actually.   I added some
crushed garlic cloves and a touch more honey.
We are using it as a garnish.   Feast is this weekend.  I will post my
report after the event.  (Duh)   I will also pop pictures out so
everyone can see the cups and plates, etc.

Nichola