[Sca-cooks] confirmation

Finne Boonen fboonen at vub.ac.be
Thu May 13 01:29:55 PDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Morgana Abbey wrote:

> OK, this is way off topic, but I need the resident compu-geeks to confirm
> something.  Linux exists, right?  Everytime someone claims to have a copy
> "and they'll bring it right over" so I can get rid of Microsponge, THEY
> NEVER FREAKING DO IT!  I don't even want to know waht will happen if I
> ask about Mozilla or Opera...

yes it exists :)
you can download a liveCD from http://www.linuxiso.org/ (a liveCD has been
previously called a demo cd here :))

with the livecd you can try it out without having to install everything,
and possibly ruining you current installed operating system.  If you're
willing to take the plunge and install Linux, I would recommend Red
Hat(not sure about the downloadability of it), Suse (has better support
for European little things like euro sign, languages etc etc), debian (one
of the oldest distributions available) as a starting distribution.
btw, you can have both windows and linux installed at the same time, so
you can switch between them (it's a nice intermediate solution!)

If you consider yourself technologically savvy, you may want to try
Slackware or gentoo.

If you have questions, you can ask them on or off list, but it's not hard
to install :)(ask for my msn or icq nick :))

the newbie mailinglist from linuxchix (linuxchix.org) is also a wonderfull
place to ask questions.

Finne