[Sca-cooks] alajú question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu May 13 03:11:43 PDT 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>>   Made 3 doz. Small heart cakes. (We made them in heart shapes to go
>>along with the theme of the event...but you could use any kind of mold
>>you wish.)
>So is the final product supposed to be a cake or a paste? It says
>"paste" near the top but it mentions "cakes" near the end. "put it
>in boxes" could be either cakes or a paste, since quince paste is
>often sold that way.
>
>I was at first going to put this in my spreads-msg file but maybe it
>should go in candy-msg or since there are a number of period nut
>candy recipes, perhaps I should split some of the candy file off as
>nut-candy-msg? Where would folks look for this kind of recipe?

This is a paste, as in dough/pastry, not a paste like library paste,
so stiffer than most spreads. Think of it as a [potentially] no-bake
pastry, like marzipan, which can also be dried after forming or
stamping it into shapes.

I'd make a nut-paste file, and put this, and the marzipan stuff, and
any little snippets you may have about similar pine-nut pastes, and
pistacchio paste, in there.

Adamantius