[Sca-cooks] Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Required courses for RUM degrees

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri May 14 11:32:57 PDT 2004

Bear in mind that my kingdom doesn't have anything like this, so I'm just
thinking in non-SCA academic terms

> Students enrolled in the School of Culinary Sciences may receive any of the
> following degrees based on their choice of studies:
> (1) Scholar of Medieval Foods & Food Pathways- classes centering on the
> study of SCA Period food, availability, trade routes, regional differences

- Introduction to Culinary History (Overview)
- Medicine and Diet
- History of Raw Ingredients
- Food preparation in period
- Herbs and Seasonings
- Med/Ren Food Texts
- Recreating foods from period recipes
- two classes in regional cooking

> (2) Scholar of Medieval Feasting - classes centering on SCA Period Food
> Preparation, Feasting and Fasting, Period Techniques, SCA Feastcratting,
> etc.

- Introduction to Culinary History
- History of Raw Ingredients
- Food preparation in period
- Basic Kitchen Safety
- Herbs and Seasonings
- recreating foods from period recipes
- Food Presentation in Period
- Organizing an SCA kitchen 101
- Running a kitchen: budgets, material and staff management

> (3) Scholar of Botanical Studies - classes centering on SCA Period use of
> Herbal Medicine, Period Herbals, Gardens and Gardening, should include some
> practicums

- Medicine and Diet
- medieval gardens 101
- Period Herbal preparations
- Overview of Agriculture
- Botanical/Herbal sources
- Basic gardening
- basic botany for the scadian
- History of Raw ingredients
- at least two in depth resource classes (on a particular area/author)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Once there was The People--Terror gave it birth;
Once there was The People and it made a Hell of Earth...
Once there was The People--it shall never be again!" -- Kipling