[Sca-cooks] Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Required courses for RUM degrees

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri May 14 12:01:15 PDT 2004

> not that i object to taking classes, i love taking classes and
> researching, but *why* add another chachka for people to say but you
> *don't* have a _______, why should you matter.

You know, it's a strange thing, but most of the people whose opinion I
care about don't say those things. I can think of a few people who
probably thought those things, but most of the time it didn't have
anything to do with doo-dads, though sometimes it did have to do with how
long I'd been in and what I'd done.

And sometimes it discouraged me, and sometimes it made me heartsick, but I
just kept doing what I thought I could and should do, and while I
complained a lot, I did try to give the other side some credit too. And in
the long term that worked out for me. There are always going to be people
out there who aren't willing to believe that I know what I'm talking
about, like Ras, but you can't do anything about them.

On the other hand, y'all know that a bunch of people are out there trying
to figure out what they should know and who they can get to teach it to
them. The SCA-Herbalist list wants weekly lessons. I've always been trying
to figure out what the basic curriculum would be to be a reasonably
competent cook in Medieval Cuisines (though I admit I finally realized
that the 'Mrs. Beeton's Book' of SCA cookery was Pleyn Delit, and all
those recipes that everyone assumed you had mastered were in that book).
So, some people choose to persue such a goal. Unless they are doing it in
your home kingdom, who cares?

> heck, i barely have any rewards in the sca as i refuse to deal with
> politics in the manner which was considered proper,

Well, as for me, I didn't get many pats on the back for a long time in the
SCA because I was a nasty bitch. Well, I've tried to improve the parts of
my behavior that actually hurt people, and I'm staying away from the
people I don't care for much when I can, but the truth is that I was still
a nasty bitch when I got the mid-level arts award and the mid-level
service award.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Once there was The People--Terror gave it birth;
Once there was The People and it made a Hell of Earth...
Once there was The People--it shall never be again!" -- Kipling