[Sca-cooks] Jams and Jellies in period

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Sun May 16 01:03:24 PDT 2004

On Sat, 15 May 2004 21:53:34 EDT, Varju at aol.com wrote :

> A question came up on a message board I'm on about if there was anything
> similar to modern jam or jelly in the Middle Ages.   I wasn't able to
find any in
> the small group of cookbooks I have, so I was wondering if you fine
people
> could give me a more definitive answer than that.

In German cookbooks, there are 'Mus' recipes that come somewhat close -
basically boiled or baked and mashed fruit that are sweetened and thickened
for storage. There is alaso one recipe that callsa for boiling fruit juice
with sugar until it thickens and sets. The result can be used in 'pieces
the size of a walnut', so I assume something like an old-style jelly. It's
in an untranslated source, tho.

Renaissance 'Confect' arealso somewhat like that - fruit ot juices boiled
with sugar, then poured into boxes to cool and set. Sometimes the jam/jelly
is poured over whole fruit. Rumpoldt and de Rontzier both have those, but I
recall similar things from British and French cookbooks, too. They are
pretty international.

A still life by Georg Flegel (1566-1638, probably dates to almost exactly
End-of-Period) shows what they looked like. It really looks like someonwe
poured jam into a box. Unfortunately I have no electronic medium of this.
It is titled 'Grosses Schauessen' (Great Show Banquet) and may be found at
the Alte Pinakothek, Munich.

Giano