[Sca-cooks] Jams and Jellies in period

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon May 17 08:15:22 PDT 2004

> In German cookbooks, there are 'Mus' recipes that come somewhat close -
> basically boiled or baked and mashed fruit that are sweetened and thickened
> for storage. There is alaso one recipe that callsa for boiling fruit juice
> with sugar until it thickens and sets. The result can be used in 'pieces
> the size of a walnut', so I assume something like an old-style jelly. It's
> in an untranslated source, tho.

Oh, by the way, at the local Amish/Natural foods store, I found pear
syrup, made from boiled down/sweetened pears. I'm going to try it in the
Welserin mustard recipe:

"Take mustard powder, stir into it good wine and pear preserves and put
sugar into it, as much as you feel is good, and make it as thick as you
prefer to eat it, then it is a good mustard."

And see if it makes a difference.
Dembinska makes a note that the Teutonic knights boiled down fruit juices
for storage in their Headquarters, so fruit juice syrup sounds plausible
as a preserve?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Once there was The People--Terror gave it birth;
Once there was The People and it made a Hell of Earth...
Once there was The People--it shall never be again!" -- Kipling