[Sca-cooks] Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] Another look at a Florilegiumentry...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 17 23:21:34 PDT 2004

Dame Selene Colfox, still in Caid said:

Stefan typially does not insert statements about ³this interpretation is
being contested².  Rather, he is more likely to add your post to the
file of
messages and let those who contest speak for themselves.  I expect that
he
would ask if he may use your own words
<<<<<
Correct. I have already saved several of the messages in this thread to
be added to this file.

I stand by my original statement. Whilst small pack-ponies are present
in other frames of the Bayeux Tapestry, this one appears to have a
different, um, destiny. Here is a picture of the panel:
http://hastings1066.com/bayeux22.shtml

³HIC EST WADARD. HIC COQUITOR CARO. ET HIC MINISTRAVERUNT MINISTRI.²
[Here is Wadard. Her meat is cooked. And here the servants serve the
food.]
<<<<
Thanks for the link. This might be a good one to explore sometime. Or
write up as a link for the Bayeux-Tap-msg file sometime.

Here is one man with an ax over his head, about to address the weapon
to a
large and a small beeve.  Also, another man with an ax over his
shoulder,
leading a small pony.  Yes, there is a basket n his back, but that ax
really looks to me like it¹s about to be used. I feel that this is
clearly destined for the dinner table.
<<<<

Yes, this makes sense. However, why would you saddle up a horse if you
were leading it to slaughter? A bridle I can understand because it
would make it easier to lead it where you wanted. But why spend the
effort to saddle it? Perhaps it was injured, but I don't see a sign of
that.

I don't know for sure. The file will now have both opinions.

Stefan
Of course, if someone wants to write a more comprehensive article on
eating, or not eating, of horse flesh in period, I'd certainly consider
it for the Florilegium.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com