[Sca-cooks] Meringues?

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Tue May 18 12:04:29 PDT 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 2:04 PM, a5foil wrote:

> You know you're in the SCA when ... your 15-year-old daughter decides
> translate and redact recipes from Taillevent for her French II final
> project.
>
> She just asked me if meringues are period. She has lots of egg whites
> left
> over from making Tostees Dorrees and is looking for a way to use them.
> This
> is out of my area of expertise, so I thought I'd ask.

She could use some to make "Snow".

I've got Dame Aoife Finn's recipe online:
	http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/strawberries.html

Source [Gloning, 16th cent. A Proper Neue Book of Cokery]: To make
dyschefull of Snowe: Take a pottel of swete thycke creame and the
whytes of eyghte egges, and beate them altogether wyth a spone, then
putte them in youre creame and a saucerful of Rosewater, and a dyshe
full of Suger wyth all, then take a stick and make it cleane, and than
cutte it in the ende foure squsre, and therwith beate all the
aforesayde thynges together, and as ever it ryseth takeit of and put it
into a Collaunder, this done take one apple and set it in the myddes of
it, and a thick bushe of Rosemary, and set it in the myddes of the
platter, then cast your Snowe uppon the Rosemary and fyll your platter
therwith. And yf you have wafers cast some in wyth all and thus serve
them forthe.

- Doc