[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu May 20 21:12:35 PDT 2004

>As a fighter, I'd recommend, (besides water, gatorade, and jerky... :-))

Some good suggestions. I've found success with things like sliced pears
and apples. Granola, dried apricots, grapes.

Is this food at a dayboard or food that is handed out? Sorry, I missed the
original posting.

I don't recommend spicy foods like summer sausage or pepperoni.

But some pickled veggies are very nice.

Roasted chicken is wonderful if it is off the bone. In fact, pretty much any
kind of roasted meat is welcome if there are no bones or sticks or whatever.
Just grab some and go. No sauces or stickiness, please.

Carrot and celery sticks are good.

Things that are easily eaten out of hand with nothing to throw away.

If they have a moment to down something I love (may the list forgive me)
Lipton's Chicken Soup. Or any chicken noodle thing. Have it lukewarm and
served
in easily gulpable paper cups so they can down it, toss it and go.

I also love V8 after fighting but not during because of the acid.
Most fruit type juices also have a bit too much acid. Just water or,
if they MUST have it, Gatorade is sufficient. Weak tea is also okay.

Keep the spice and acid to a minimum, save that for after the exertion.
Keep the foods as simple as possible.
There should be nothing left after eating it. No bones, sticks, cores,
etc...
I don't recommend cheese or milk based products because the lactic acid
inhibits performance.

And the exception that proves this rule is when we serve leftovers of the
Ansteorran Chili Party on the field at Pennsic. Cold chili in the middle of
all day fighting. And it works. I don't know how or why but it does. Like
I can't explain why a cheeseburger and chocolate malt go so well together.
It's just one of those things.

Just some thoughts from a guy who has been fighting for 20 years now.

Yers,

Gunthar