[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 21 06:15:59 PDT 2004

Thomas created this beverage for fighters in Atlantia many years ago. It has
kind of fallen into disuse now that we no longer attend fighting events, and
this seems like a good opportunity to revive it.

The purpose of Fighter-Ade is to replenish the electrolytes and water that
are depleted during physical activity. Because it is *not* pre-metabolized,
like Gatorade, it works a little differently, but it also prevents bonking,
loss of appetite, and the ubiquitous Gatorade hangover.

Fighter-Ade -- recipe by Master Thomas Longshanks

For each quart of water, you need the juice of one orange and up to one
tablespoon of honey. Just mix it all together. Serve before, during and
after fighting.

If fresh oranges are not economical, you can use an equivalent amount of
not-from-concentrate juice (like Tropicana Pure Premium) with pretty much
the same results. Do **NOT** use from-concentrate juice. The cooking process
destroys too many nutrients for it to be effective.

Start the fighters drinking Fighter-Ade well before the fighting -- while
they are all standing around for armor inspection or whatever. Keep them on
it during the day and serve it afterwards as well. They will stay hydrated.
They will also be getting electrolytes and sugars that the body has to
process. Instead of the body depleting reserves and then using instant,
pre-metabolized lytes -- leaving the body depleted at the end of the day --
the body actually replenishes the reserves. I am sure Thomas could explain
it better than I could, so if anyone has questions please ask.

Cynara